Skip to main content

Tomorrow Girls #2: Run for Cover


Run for Cover is the second book in Eva Gray's futuristic middle-grade thriller series Tomorrow Girls.

In order to prevent spoilers, I suggest all book addicts to read Behind the Gates, the first Tomorrow Girls book, before even glancing at this review. For all of you that have read Behind the Gates and are ready for where the girls' are going next, I won't be giving any plot details away, but more of a recap of the conclusion and my thoughts on the book itself.

So, again - below are going to be spoilers for anyone who HAS NOT read Behind the Gates, but NOT spoilers about Run for Cover itself. Ready? Okay! :)

Rosie still can't believe it. She was sure that CMS was truly just an awesome boarding school that taught survival skills and kept her safe from the Alliance, America's enemy in the War. Louisa was totally on the same page, and the two of them had been enjoying all the nature that the school offered - nature that had become so scarce in this ragged world.

But Evelyn, crazy Evelyn, ended up being right. Her conspiracy theories had always sounded so far-fetched - but now even Rosie had to admit that they were in bad situation. The Alliance was behind CMS and actually using the school to get their hands on America's wealthiest kids in order to demand a ransom - which may very well be how they finally took Canada.

Louisa, Maddie, Evelyn, and Rosie got the heck out of there as soon as they overheard this - none of them liked the thought of being used against their parents - or being in Alliance hands! So, as Behind the Gates closed all four of our girls, despite their differences, were heading off silently into the forest to escape and - hopefully - find their way back to Chicago where their families are!

And the hardest thing about this for Rosie is that she kinda has to rely on these girls. And she's never been one to rely on anyone besides herself. At least, not since a certain event happened in her life a few years ago...

Run for Cover, instead of continuing to follow Louisa's viewpoint, spotlights tough-girl Rosie this time around. It's an interesting choice since she so often came across as unlikable in the first book - so it's nice to see things from her standpoint and experiences. Definitely some surprises there.

There is a cloak-and-dagger survival tone, the feel of hiding and trying to escape creating an environment of light suspense. It's fun and fast-paced but doesn't pack a whole lot of substance and sometimes feels a little fluffy. I did feel like Run for Cover wasn't as original as the first book, Behind the Gates. I wanted more information about this future world where gas in $60 a gallon and writing with pen and paper is nearly unheard of - but we got more of a hushed espionage tone - which was entertaining and a very quick read, but just not as intriguing to me as the more enigmatic, mystery-laced first novel.

In this second Tomorrow Girls book, the girls' run across the boys, and without giving away too much I will say that crushes do abound, resulting in some humorous moments and maybe a little hint of romance for our middle school aged characters.

Despite it not being as strong as the first book (in my opinion, that is - you very well may think it's stronger!), the end was a breathless cliffhanger - again! So, I still find myself looking forward to the next book. This isn't a series I would ever flip out about and it's occasionally predictable, but it's an enjoyable, relaxing read.

I might not be jumping up and down in excitement when the third book With the Enemy comes out, but I will be reading it. ;)

***ALERT: Due to continued bibliophile reading overdosing, I am continuing the 5 reviews a week through August. After that, I am absolutely returning to only 3 reviews a week in September and on. So, we'll just think of this as a summer special! Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cute website!!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Author Q & A - Jan Eldredge Stops By!

Next Wednesday y'all will be getting my oh-so-humble opinion of Evangeline of the Bayou , the Summer 2018 Kids' Indie Next List selection! (That means it was picked via booksellers at independent bookstores countrywide.) Until then, I have a Q&A with the Louisiana born and raised author herself: Jan Eldredge! (Don't forget to come back next week for my review!!) A Conversation with JAN ELDRIDGE Author of Evangeline of the Bayou 1) The glossary in the back of the book is so helpful! Where did you learn about all these creatures? Which creature from the book is your favorite? I have a small, but growing, collection of books about mythical creatures around the world. If I couldn’t find what I was looking for there, I researched library books, online websites, and the occasional documentary. Something that really surprised me as I started learning more about mythical monsters was the number of different cultures that share very similar

First Step: Admit You Have a Problem

Hi fellow Bibliophiles! I have been rather neglectful to this blog... instead continuing to stay buried in a book as I have during the holidays. I'm hopeful that most of you have been doing this too and can easily accept my apology. Have I been reading? Um, yeah! (Translation: duh.) Just haven't been able to pull myself away long enough to actually WRITE about what I'm reading. Lol. But that's me, a bibliophile, an addict, an addict who's fallen off the wagon and fully embraced her love of reading - especially with all this free time to do so!!! I've also been watching awesome holiday movies, eating yummy, but bad-for-me, food and hanging out with the people I love best! You too? I hope! ;) Anyway, I will return with a new book review next week, most likely on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience and keep reading!!!

Promotion Celebration for Maximum Ride!!!

Do you love the series Maximum Ride ? How about James Patterson? Are you a huge fan of action-packed books? Well, I’m thrilled to bring to you an opportunity to stock up on some awesome reading!!! ENTER TO WIN A SET OF JAMES PATTERSON PAGETURNERS! MAXIMUM RIDE – IF SHE LIVES, THE WORLD LIVES, IT’S THAT SIMPLE. Read “MAX” - the newest book in the bestselling Maximum Ride series. On sale in paperback 09/01/09! Still reeling from their most recent adventure, Maximum Ride and the rest of the flock must head out to sea to uncover the secret behind a brand new series of disasters—fish are dying off the coast of Hawaii, hundreds of ships are being destroyed. As if that weren’t enough, they’re also being tracked by a criminal mastermind with, oh yeah, an army of mercenaries. Can the flock save themselves and the ocean, and the world, from utter destruction? Now for the rules : The Maximum Ride: Max Promotion is open to legal US residents who are at least 13 years of age as of August 24, 200